Lawrence J. Maheady, Ph.D.Dist Prof + H Mann Endowed Chair Ketchum Hall 204B
Office: (716) 878-3836
About Lawrence Maheady
Dr. Lawrence Maheady is Distinguished Professor and Horace Mann Endowed Chair in the Exceptional Education Department at SUNY Buffalo State. He prepares pre-service and in-service teachers, conducts classroom-based research, and collaborates with school districts locally and nationally. Dr. Maheady has authored or co-authored over 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals, 18 book chapters, and four books; presented his work at over 275 international, national, and state-level conferences; and conducted more than 340 staff development sessions in 29 different states.
- Ph.D. Special Education, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- M.A. School Psychology, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
- B.S. Psychology, King’s College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
AWARDS & HONORS
- SUNY Distinguished Professor, Exceptional Education Department, SUNY Buffalo State, 2019-Present
- Horace Mann Endowed Chair, Exceptional Education Department, SUNY Buffalo State, 2013-Present
- Distinguished Guest Faculty Member, Special Education Program, Ohio State University
- Visiting Guest Faculty Member, Project PURPLE, Joint Doctoral Programs, University of Kentucky and Louisville, 2020-ongoing
- Visiting Guest Faculty Member, Project SITE, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2019-ongoing
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, SUNY, 2004
- SUNY Research Foundation's Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship, 2003
- EXE 684: Seminar in Exceptional Education
- EXE 690: Master’s Project in Exceptional Education
TEACHING & RESEARCH INTERESTS & EXPERTISE
- Inclusive Education
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Peer-Mediated Learning
- Implementation Science
- Practice-Based Teacher Education
CURRENT COLLABORATIVE SERVICE & INVOLVEMENT
- Co-Editor, High Leverage Practices for Inclusive Classrooms (2nd Edition) (2021-2021). New York: Routledge Publishing.
- Co-Editor, High Leverage Practices and Intensive Instruction (2021-ongoing). New York: Routledge Publishing.
- Board Member, SUNY Distinguished Professor Board (2019-ongoing).
- Group Leader, (2015-2019). Council for Exceptional Children’s writing group on High Leverage Practices, Washington DC.
- Implementation Consultant, (2016-ongoing). CEEDAR Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- Patti, A., Budin, S., Rafferty, L., & Maheady, L., (in press). The role of high leverage practices in effective inclusive elementary classrooms. In J. McLeskey, F. Spooner, B. Algozzine, & N. L. Waldron (Eds.), Handbook of Effective Inclusive Elementary Schools: Research and Practice (2nd Edition). Routledge.
- Maheady, L., Hashey, A., del Prado Hill, P., & Garas-York, K (in press). The role of teacher education in effective inclusive elementary classrooms. In J. McLeskey, F. Spooner, B. Algozzine, & N. L. Waldron (Eds.), Handbook of Effective Inclusive Elementary Schools: Research and Practice (2nd Edition). Routledge.
- Colon, G., Zgliczynski, T., & Maheady, L. (in press). Using flexible grouping. In J. McLeskey, L. Maheady, B. Billingsley, M., Brownell, & T. Lewis (Co-Eds.). High leverage practices for inclusive educational settings (pp. 237-250). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Owiny, R., Cornelius, K. E., & Maheady, L. (in press). Using flexible grouping to improve students learning outcomes. In R. Owiny & K. Cornelius (Eds.), Practical guide to high leverage practices in special education: The purposeful “how” to enhance classroom rigor. SLACK Publishing.
- Marklez, A., Ridden, B., & Maheady, L. (in press). Systematic adoption, implementation, and evaluation of high leverage practices in special education. Submitted to Journal of Special Education Teacher Preparation.
- Gugino, J., Raimondi, S., & Maheady, L. (2021). E-peer coaching: A model to support rural, special education teacher placements. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 40(1), 1-9.
- Budin, S., del Prado Hill, P., Maheady, L., Patti, A., & Rafferty, L. (2020). Using instruction high leverage practices to improve educational outcomes for students with disabilities. TED Brief. Washington DC: Teacher Education Division of the Council for Exceptional Children.
- Cook, B., Lloyd, J., Therrien, W., Maheady, L. (2020). A roadmap for transparent research in special education and related disciplines. Open Science Framework, htpps://osi.oi/sqfy3/
- Maheady, L., & Patti, A., (2020). High leverage practices for inclusive educational settings. Oxford Research Encyclopedias. London, UK: Oxford Press.
- Zgliczynski, T., George, P., & Maheady, L. (2020). A framework for collaborative research with Professional Development Schools: Using Kagan cooperative learning structures to meet all students’ needs. In P. Del Prado Hill & K. Garas-York (Eds.), The impact of PDS in challenging times.
- McLeskey, J., Billingsley, B., Brownell, M. T., Maheady, L., & Lewis, T. J. (2019). What are high leverage practices for special education teachers and why are they important? Remedial and Special Education, 40(6), 331-337.
- Maheady, L., Patti, A., Rafferty, L., & del Prado Hill, P. (2019). School-university partnerships: One institution’s efforts to integrate and support teacher use of high-leverage practices. Remedial and Special Education, 40(6), 346-354.
- Maheady, L. (2018). Developing and sustaining a research agenda in special education teacher education. Teacher Education and Special Education, 41(1), 86-96.
- Hunter, W. C., Maheady, L., Andersen, T., Washington, C., & Christopher-Allen, A. (2017). The effects of Carousel Brainstorming on the academic performance and student engagement in a summer enrichment class. Journal of Evidence-Based Practices for Education, 17(2), 220-242.